Sunday, March 1, 2015

December Band Spotlight M.I.C

              January Band Spotlight M.I.C
Since the days of Elvis and The Beatles legions of people have flocked to guitars, basses, keyboards, drums to pay tribute to the bands that come before them or try to invent a new world all there own. This day in age there are so many genres in rock and metal that no matter what your taste is you can indulge yourself from bands all over the world. When most people think of rock they think of the British invasion or them classic rock bands from the United States. Yvon Serre and his band M.I.C has  been all over the world in one form or another showing there own take on rock from mixing funk and blues with a hint of classic rock mixed with enriched riffs and catchy hooks giving them a following from almost all continents. Yvon is such a great guy that always has time to talk music or day to day life with anyone that wants to talk. He is a family man always putting his family circle first in his life what is such a respectable thing cause in the music world that is not something that happens all the time. This months Band Spotlight is really special to me cause I have followed Yvon and been a fan of his band for a while now and being able to share his magic to you all is such a huge honor!!!!

                                                                                                            M.I.C 2013

RBJ
Yvon for the readers that might have not heard of M.I.C tell us a bit of history on the band? 

YS 
It was 2004 when I decided to permanently move to China..I had been playing music in Canada with bands since the age of 11 and had taken a little break from the music scene in 2002. after playing the 55th Anniversary Of The Liberation Of Chengdu T.V. show in December of 2004 I though it was time to come back to the music scene..I formed the band M.I.C. in 2005, played locally in the Chengdu China (Population 10 million) for a few years before recording the first M.I.C. Album in 2008. Now 5 albums later and another album on the way we have been lucky enough to play many T.V. shows in China. One  show worthy   of mention is where M.I.C. represented the City of  Chengdu in 2007, being broadcast to millions across China. Following that 5 CDs  have  generated  considerable  airplay  across  Europe, particularly  in  Spain, Germany, Netherlands,  U.K.,  France,  Poland,  Belgium,  U.S.A, Canada  &  Japan. Other media  features  include  a  full-page interview in the 2010 Sep/Oct issue of Heavy Magazine Germany's most  prestigious  Metal/Rock publication. In  addition they have  been reviewed in other major European magazines and countless webzines around the world.

More recently, M.I.C. has opened shows for various renown Chinese Pop Stars, including  Wang  Feng, An Youqi  &  Xian  Zion  on  live TV  broadcasts. In August of 2011 M.I.C. Opened the show for famous Hong Kong band Beyond. .M.I.C. makes it on the Front page of the Entertainment section of Chengdu's Biggest  Newspaper...Chengdu is one of  the  top Cities in  China  with  a population  of  10  million  people. October 3rd The 8th International Tour Music  Festival &  on  October 4th M.I.C. Headline The East Chengdu Music Festival in Chengdu as well as doing many shows across China.


RBJ
When did you decide to become a musician? What all instruments do you play?
 

YS
It wasn't my decision really ..from when I can remember I always wanted to play music..It was an obsession.
I play Guitar, Bass..drums and keys..

                            
                                                                  Yvon Serre rocking out!
RBJ
Give us a run down of the members of the band and what they play?
 

YS
The new line-up boasts new members Emilo Meleca on drums (Skip Tracer/Scarecrow), Dennis Papadatos on Bass (Tia Carrera, Liberty Silver, Natalie Cole,  Loverboy,  GOB,  Biff Naked, Dixie  Chicks,  Paul Brandt, Randy  Bachman) Silvio Potito on Keyboards (Perfect Strangers), and Mike O'Neil on backup Vocals and Guitar (Wednesday). Mike had a #1 Hit in Canada with "Last Kiss" back in 1974. The new album also includes special  guests Steve Skingley, on bass (Rik Emmit band, Triumph) and David Colin Burt on Guitar (CANO), plus lyrics on "LOVE HATE" by Jon Wilde (Bangalore Choir, Powerworld).



RBJ
What is the band doing now any new music coming out?

YS

We are currently in the studio recording M.I.C. 6th Sense - many new guests will appear on the new Album
due out spring/Summer 2015..



RBJ
I have a few of your albums and the songs are always very strong and well structured what is your writing process when you are writing new songs?

YS

Most of the time I scream my head off, play a few chords..until I like what I've got..then work at it until I'm satisfied.
Re work it if I think it's still good a few months later..sometimes I'll get a text from my co writer Jon Wilde..take my guitar and like magic music and Melodie will come out of me...



RBJ
Lets talk gear a few, What is some of your favorite gear you use?
 

YS
I've had, Les Pauls, Strats, Hiwatt etc..but at this point  I'm using my own custom guitars or cheap Chinese guitars I was able to buy in China..which play well..and a Digitech pedal ..ha ha ha..I'm not a Gear guy like you Jon..


                                                                                Yvon in China
RBJ
What is some of your favorite bands and or music?
 

YS
The Beatles will always be the top band for me..They're still blowing peoples minds today..my second favorite is the Alice Cooper Band
I loved their music and the theatrics were out of this world..then there's the Who, Johnny Winter, Brownsville Station, Mott The Hoople and more..



RBJ
You have toured some really amazing places and have been all around the world any certain tour or show stand out or any great stories to share about the road?
 

YS
One time we were asked to play a show somewhere in China..The promoter told us to bring long cords for our instruments..
We show up at the gig and it turned out to be a stadium..The best shows were in China..you never knew what venue you'd be playing until you got there..really a lot of fun..most of the times it was huge crowds..big stages..



RBJ
I have seen some of the live video's on Youtube and you have such a spectacular stage presence do you have any shows or tours lined up for 2015 yet?
 

YS
We've been asked to play a few shows already, but no dates have been confirmed yet..


                                                                                  M.I.C rocking out
RBJ
The music world can be a bit brutal for them new bands that are just getting there feet wet any advice for them to help them get them rolling?
 

YS
You're right the music business is brutal..I would say..Don't loose hope..when everything seems hopeless..like magic something appears in your life that gives you that extra boost you need to continue..History has shown that most bands that made it big ..became big because they stuck it out through thick and thin they worked hard..and of course they got lucky and found a good manager who worked even harder got them their first record deal..and after they became famous thought they made it because of their talent..that's what they heard from their groupies..ha ha ha..Ya need more than talent to make it..



RBJ
If you was not doing MIC what do you think you would be doing?

YS
I've though about quitting many times..then I start writing new songs then record a new album
Maybe someday a popular artist will choose one of my songs and have a big hit so I can make some real money..ha ha ha
I was lucky to have one of my song play on a Canadian T.V. show back in 2011, The series is still playing around the world in syndication.


Thanks
   Yvon

                                                                                   Yvon striking a pose
Yvon is the ultimate front man winning people over at every show he has ever done. What makes Yvon so special is he is the real deal from the music to the lives he has touched he has that unforgettable presence about him that draws people to him. I cannot wait to see what the new line up and music brings for one of rocks hardest working musicians cause M.I.C has payed more dues in the years they have been together then any ten bands do in twice the time. If you are a fan of good ol Rock N Roll then this is a band you really need to give a chance with there positive upbeat songs and great hooks that are easily implanted in your head. Yvon also has other projects he does from his solo work and The Harry Straight Band there is plenty of his work out there for just about any fan!!


Links For Yvon & M.I.C
Yvon Serre Personal Facebook Page
M.I.C Facebook Page
Yvon Serre Website







I had to share this also it is a picture that Yvon make up for one of my radio shows I did a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment